Swimming is not only a cheap and fun activity but also helps in toning your body muscles and burning calories. And if you don't live in a place that is cold for most of the year, you may feel hard done by the fact that you can't swim every day. Fortunately, we are here to help!
There are three commonly used methods of heating a pool, namely:
- Using a solar pool heater
- Using a gas heater
- Using an electric pool heater like Hayward Hp50ta
Gas heaters are the most commonly used pool heaters. However, they are quite expensive in the long run, as they're not as efficient as the other two methods. On the other hand, solar pool heaters may be cheap to buy and install, but they won't help much during winter. This leaves us with the electric pool heaters, which are smaller and more functionally efficient.
To give you a clue of what features of an electric heat pump to look out for when shopping for one, here is our detailed and unbiased Hayward Hp50ta Review.
What is the Hayward Hp50ta?
Hayward Hp50ta is an above-ground pool heat pump that incorporates electric temperature control and titanium heat exchanger, to bring your pool water to your desired temperature. The pump can ostensibly handle pools with a volume of up to 13,000 gallons.
Moreover, it has a rating of 50,000 BTU, runs on a voltage of 240 and has an electrical rating of 30 amperes - that's relatively low power usage considering what the heater accomplishes. What's more, being an outdoor pump, it can withstand all the weather elements, courtesy of its UV-resistant body panels.
How Does the Hayward Hp50ta Pool Heat Pump Work?
This heat pump is typically an air compressor. It works by drawing in outside air through its inbuilt fans and passes it through the electrically-powered evaporator fin. The evaporator fin, or coil, in turn, heats the warm air, turning it into a hot gas. The gas is passed through the electric compressor, which increases its pressure. The high pressure allows hot gas to be released into the pool more effectively.
However, the gas-only flows into the pool after passing through the titanium heat exchanger, where it mixes with water flowing through the exchanger, which is in turn heated by a coiled tube inside the pump. The process is repeated until all the water in the pool is heated.
Main Features of The Hayward HP50TA Pool Heater
The following are the outstanding features of the heat pump:
BTU stands for British Thermal Units, and it denotes how much energy a machine requires to heat or cool one pound of water to one degree Fahrenheit. The more the BTU rating in a heater, the more powerful it is.
The 50,000 BTU-rated Hp50ta can, for instance, heat 50,000 pounds (5,988 gallons) of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit within an hour.
The Hayward Hp50ta needs a voltage of 240, which is available in most homes.
Hayward Hp50ta is made using durable injection-molded Ultra violet panels that can withstand all weather conditions. The panels are also impervious to rust, and are built to last for years.
Dynamic Titanium Heat Exchanger
The titanium heat exchanger used in the Hayward Hp50ta is designed to support ultra-efficient heat transfer, which also means it uses less power. Additionally, it is resistant to the chemicals found in and around the pool environment.
The heater incorporates an acoustic compressor cover designed to reduce the noise coming from the compressor. It also contains profiled fan blades that provide adequate airflow into the heater. Both of these facilitate quiet operation.
Easy to Read Display
It also contains an electronic temperature control system as well as a relatively large digital display that allows for easy control and reading of temperatures. The display provides electronic frost control and comes with a temperature lock-out setting.
Additional features of the Hayward Hp50ta Pool Heat Pump include:
- 2 1/2 inches plumbing connections which make installation easy and cheaper
- Compact - The HP50TA has a relatively small footprint, which means easy installation, primarily because it occupies a small space
- It has an ultra-Gold corrosion-resistant evaporator fin, which is designed to last for years
- The heat pump is considerably quiet, which makes for no distractions or noise pollution
- It's made using extremely durable materials, right from the cover panels to the evaporator fins
- The electronic controls make for easy and efficient temperature control and monitoring
- Quite a powerful heater, suitable for all domestic pool sizes
- Uses electricity and produces negligible emissions
- It doesn't take up much space. It can therefore be fitted anywhere around the pool.
- 2-year warranty by the manufacturer. You, therefore, don't have to worry about repairs
Just like any other unit, the Hayward HP50TA also has its own downsides. These include:
- It takes a short while to heat up and get going. It may take several hours to get a middle-sized pool heated up.
- It's functionally useless in a freezing environment (anything below 50 degrees Fahrenheit) as it requires the outside air to heat the pool.
- The Hayward HP50TA is relatively more expensive compared to an average gas heater.
Is the Hayward HP50TA Worth it?
It may not be the perfect pool heat pump, but the Hayward HP50TA stands among the best products in the market. It's a quiet operation, durability and efficient performance, not to forget its lightweight design, make the Hayward Hp50ta a great deal. The fact that you can install the pump without help - courtesy of the detailed user manual that comes in the box is only the icing on the cake.
Moreover, while it may cost a tidy sum, the Hayward Hp50ta is corrosion resistant and has sturdy components, hence it can serve you for years. We would recommend this unit, mainly if you live in an area that routinely experiences freezing temperatures.